There are 6 species of reptile native to the UK, 4 of which are common and widespread; slow worm, common lizard, grass snake and adder.
Reptile species are protected and should be considered during projects. Blackdown Environmental are experienced in undertaking surveys, advising and implementing mitigation strategies with regards to reptile species.
All UK reptile species are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981). Assessments of reptile species are frequently required as part of a planning application where impacts to areas of suitable reptile habitat are anticipated.
Ecological Consultancy Services
Blackdown Environmental have Ecologists trained to survey for reptile species and are experienced in undertaking presence/ absence surveys and translocations for a wide variety of projects from residential and business development sites to transport infrastructure management schemes.
Our reptile services include (but are not limited to):
- Habitat suitability assessments
- Presence/ absence surveys
- Reptile translocations
- Reptile displacement from impacted areas
- Devising reptile mitigation strategies including habitat creation and reptile enhancement
- Destructive searches under the supervision of a trained Ecologist
Blackdown Environmental Ecologists are fully trained and qualified to work alongside highway and railway networks.
Environmental Contracting Services
Blackdown Environmental’s contracting team can assist with implementing a variety of mitigation solutions devised specifically for
Blackdown Environmental are able to provide the following:
- Installation of reptile barrier fencing
- Destructive searches undertaken by skilled machine operators, guided by our Ecologists
- Habitat manipulation to enable displacement of reptiles
- Habitat creation including reptile hibernacula
Call us on 01404 891188 to find out more.