There are 18 species of bats in the UK, 17 of which are known to breed here. All bat species are protected and often need to be considered during development projects. Blackdown Environmental are experienced in undertaking assessments of bat species across the UK.
All UK bat species are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) and the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations (2010). Assessments of bat species are frequently required as part of planning applications, whether it is with regard to understanding their roosting requirements or assessing their use of a site with regards foraging areas and flight routes.
Ecological Consultancy Services
Blackdown Environmental have Ecologists licensed to survey for bat species in both England and Wales and are highly experienced in undertaking assessments of bats for a wide variety of projects from conversions of domestic loft spaces and agricultural outbuildings to assessments of large scale housing developments, high profile sports stadiums and complex infrastructure projects including transport and engineering schemes. Whatever your project type you can be assured that you will receive a high quality of service.
Our bat survey services include (but are not limited to):
Preliminary Roost Assessment of structures and trees, and detailed assessments of buildings, structures and bat roosts:
- Internal inspections, including large, complex structures
- Bat emergence and dawn re-entry roost assessments
- Confined Spaces trained Ecologists capable of fully surveying constrained sites such as culverts and tunnels
- Ecologists trained in tree climbing to undertake challenging aerial assessments at height
Blackdown Environmental Ecologists hold Personal Track Safety (PTS) allowing then to work on the rail network. Blackdown Environmental Ecologists are also trained and qualified to work on highways and are accredited with CSCS and ROLO accreditations.
Assessments of bat activity across an area including:
- Automated static detectors used to collect large data sets
- Blackdown Environmental Ecologists are experienced in undertaking bat activity surveys at a variety of sites across the country. Our Ecologists specialise in undertaking greater horseshoe bat surveys in Devon
European Protected Species licence Method Statements and advice:
- Blackdown Environmental have extensive experience in delivering Method Statements for application to Natural England regarding European Protected Species
- Ecologists licensed to use the Natural England Bat Low Impact Class Licence
- Ecologists able to provide professional and pragmatic advice on suitable mitigation strategies and bat enhancement opportunities tailored to your specific project
- DNA analysis of bat droppings to aid species identification
Environmental Contracting Services
Blackdown Environmental’s contracting team can assist with implementing a variety of mitigation solutions devised for bat species including habitat creation and management.
Blackdown Environmental are able to assist with the following:
- Installation of bat boxes to trees and buildings
- Hedgerow planting and management
- Precautionary methods of tree felling governed by our Ecologists
- Provision of plant such as MEWPs for challenging aerial assessments at height
Call us on 01404 891188 to find out more.
Read about bat surveying and mitigation below
Read more about our environmental landscaping and reinstatement services and our habitat management services below.