Blackdown Environmental provide expert ecological solutions. Our services are designed to remove the risk of nature adversely impacting commercial activities by delivering business protection for every type of commercial activity – facilities management, health and safety, construction, property management and much more.
Our local, knowledgeable and friendly teams work throughout the UK to ensure that customers can achieve their commercial goals safe in the knowledge that conflict with nature has been mitigated considerately.
2018 is going to be a year of growth and change for us and we’re looking for people to join the team who are positive, enthusiastic and motivated towards helping the business achieve its ambitions. Experience is not always essential as we have the experience and facilities to train the right person.
Take a look at some of our key roles within the business or our current vacancies below.
£ Dependent on experience
Location: Midlands Office (Kenilworth)
Blackdown Environmental provides Ecological Consultancy and Environmental Contracting services to a wide variety of clients within the transport (road and rail), housing, charitable and utilities sectors.
Blackdown Environmental has an opportunity for an enthusiastic and committed Senior Ecologist to help deliver and develop an ecological consultancy service from our Midlands office. The role includes working alongside our existing small team of Ecologists based in Devon to deliver and expand our services both within the Midlands and other parts of the country. The successful candidate will be a good team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Degree in Ecology or related subject
- At least 3 years’ experience of working within the field of ecological consultancy
- Experience of undertaking Phase 1 habitat survey/ Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (and able to demonstrate good botanical identification), and a range of protected species surveys.
- Holder of protected species licences.
- Experience of performing Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW) duties
- Excellent written communication skills and experience of producing high quality reports
- Full driving licence
- Attention to detail and methodical approach to tasks
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Professional appearance and manner with clients
- Ability to be involved in business development and generation of new work opportunities
- Ability to work away from the office including overnight stays when required
- Willingness to work evenings and early mornings when required, often at short notice
- Willingness and ability to undertake training related to rail, highways and construction site work
- Willingness to undertake drug and alcohol testing when required
- Membership of CIEEM
- Experience of applying for European Protected Species Licences (EPSLs)
- Experience of GIS systems and mapping of ecological data
- Experience of undertaking Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA)
- CSCS Card
To apply, please fill in the form below or click here
£ Dependent on experience pa (plus Bonus)
Location: Midlands Office (Kenilworth)
We are looking for a full time, permanent Project Manager based our Midlands Office in Kenilworth. You will have experience of managing and delivering large and complex projects on time and to the satisfaction of our clients. Responsible for resourcing and line managing a site team whilst promoting compliance with all company systems and policies. Ideally, you will also have experience of working in ecological contracting, countryside management or a similar field.
Blackdown Environmental provides Ecological Consultancy and Environmental Contracting services to a wide variety of clients within the transport (road and rail), housing, charitable and utilities sectors. Successful candidates will:
- be commercial with relevant project management experience, ideally gained within the environmental / habitat management / ecological sector
- be organised with experience of managing large, complex projects
- be financially adept with the ability to manage and deliver projects on time and to budget
- have experience of leading and motivating a team of both site and office-based staff
- have a proven track record of preparing bids and tenders, winning work and generating new business opportunities
- have excellent written communication skills and be able to produce accurate reports
- be capable of working under pressure with the ability to meet deadlines
- have a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed
- have a full UK driving licence and use of a car
Introduction to Blackdown Environmental:
Blackdown Environmental are a young, dynamic company based in the South-West of England, in the picturesque county of Devon. We are a professional ecological contracting company, focusing on the delivery of arboricultural, ecology, countryside management, fencing and soft-landscaping contracts. Blackdown Environmental is a great place to be; it is a fast moving, progressive company offering excellent career opportunities and rewarding effort and achievement. Location: Midlands Office (Kenilworth) – note candidates will need to live within a reasonable commute of our office. Salary: (dependent on experience), plus overtime and enhanced working for unsociable hours.
What we’re looking for:
We require highly motivated operatives with a background in one or more of the following;
- Invasive species control and management
- Habitat restoration and creation
- Vegetation control and site clearance
- Forestry and woodland operations
- Pesticides application
- Plant and machinery operation
You will have a keen eye for quality works and be forward thinking, whilst adhering to the company H&S policy. You will be expected to carryout works on day to day basis and to deliver high standards of work in a safe and productive environment. This role will be operating from our depot in Kenilworth. There may be a requirement to work across the UK and stay away as when required. On some occasions, weekend or night working may be required. You will be employed on a permanent contract and benefit from a company pension.
Essential: Candidates will have certificates and experience in or be willing to undertake the following:
- Full driving license including trailer towing
- A valid LISS/CSCS card
- First Aid at Work
- LANTRA Brushcutter/Chipper
- NPTC chainsaw qualifications CS 30/31
- PA1 & 6AW
- Experience in running and leading teams
- Experience in delivering works on a range of main contractor sites.
- Experience in completion of paperwork and job reports
- Experience in meeting targets
Desirable: It is desirable that candidates have the following:
- Background in our core work areas
- Additional tickets including use of pole saws, large & windblown trees use of chainsaw from a MEWP etc.
- CPCS/NPORS/FMOC for Tractor & 360 Excavator.
Blackdown Environmental are very interested in recruiting and investing in the right people for our business and for our clients. Ongoing training and support will be given.
Please apply with your CV and a short statement or covering letter (<500 words) outlining your suitability for the role, salary expectations and any other relevant details to the email address below: [email protected] Closing date: 29th March 2019